This site has been archived. Visit our active site and contribute at silverbox.gmu.edu/legacy/s/racialreckoning/page/home.
Statement on Ethics
Racial Reckoning strives to be an inclusive space which respects and protects the privacy and identity of contributors and commenters. We work towards being a space for reflection and connection, rather than creating an archive showcasing the traumas that often accompany protests and racialize violence. We encourage contributors to think carefully about the privacy of the individuals in their images and content before submitting, and to post images of objects like protest signs, T-shirts, the built environment, or written or audio statements, rather than identifiable images of people.
However, given the long history of erasure and silences of people of color from the historically white-dominated archive, we will not prohibit images of people all together. A contributor may, if they wish, post an identifiable image of themselves or close family or friends whose permission they have obtained to do so. We encourage the use of image blurring software to anonymize people in photos who may not have been aware a photograph was being taken or who the contributor does not know. Should someone contact us through the website to ask us to take down an image of them which they do not want public, we will do so immediately.
You must be at least 13 years of age to contribute to Racial Reckoning. We ask for but do not require your name and email address only to validate submissions and to help us follow up with users as needed. This information may be shared or preserved for research purposes in the future. We will not use information to track you. The descriptions of content you submit will be available to the public and will be reviewed by Racial Reckoning staff.
Racial Reckoning staff will not respond to informal request by a third party for personally identifiable information about any contributor. Such information includes content contributed to the site, email address or inquiries, and database search records.
By submitting, users agree to the following:
- That they give Racial Reckoning permission to store the contribution indefinitely.
- That they give permission to publicly display the contribution on this website.
- That they have asked and obtained permission from the people who appear in their contriubtion to publicly display their image or likeness on this website. Otherwise, we ask that contributors blur identifying features like faces, tattoos, etc. before uploading.
- That they give permission to preserve the contribution, including the identifying information collected at the time of submission. Racial Reckoning may at its discretion turn over these materials, including the identifying information, to a third party for the purpose of long-term preservation and use by researchers.
- That they are at least 13 years of age.
- That they are not violating any intellectual property rights by submitting these materials.
Racial Reckoning is under no obligation to store, preserve, or publish any materials submitted to the site. Such publication and preservation is solely at the discretion of Racial Reckoning, and materials may be deleted, or stored and not published, for any reason.
Racial Reckoning makes every attempt to respect and protect users' privacy, and the privacy of those who are depicted in images or videos uploaded to the website by others. If you see yourself in an image on racialreckoning.org and do not wish for it to be publicly visible, please send us an email at email@example.com.